Sunday 12 October 2014

Artist Log - Paul Harries

Paul Harries

I find Paul Harries work really amazing, it surrounds bands that I like in an interesting way, using tone and form along with selective colour and loads more of the formal elements he makes band members come to life in front of you. Working with magazine company's such as Kerrang he's made his make on photography with 3 slipknot exhibitions and his personal work. I really love his work and find inspiring and amazing to looks at.

Red Again

This photo is of Corey Taylor from Slipknot, I really enjoy this photo because i believe it was taken at the exact right moment, there are no distractions, its just the front-man at his insane best. The use of selective colour brings the jumpsuit out and in your face, the formal element colour is black and white here, it's clear crisp and an accurate representation of the fear the Slipknot masks endure.

Green Day Limited Edition Print

Harries uses a lot of colour and that's what makes his work unique, above are the members of Green Day, all in black to show their equality of each other. Photographed onto a white background just leaves you with the crazed members. Each member of the band is in black, not only that but Harries has also used lighting and angles so that the hair of each member seems to look black, black and white are the main colours of this photo and it just makes it stand out a little bit. 

Linkin Park

The use of tone brings a dramatic atmosphere to the Linkin Park front-man Chester Bennington, it's deliberating making you stare and analyse the tattoos. I really like this photo but it makes you think about the meaning behind then, the memories and feelings he has behind them really fit in with the dramatic atmosphere created by the use of tone.

Taylor Momsen - The Pretty Reckless

This Pretty Reckless lead singer is complimented with Harries use of colour, once again he's used black, black clothes, background, make-up really brings the artist to life and as if she was standing in front of you.

I would like to use Harries use of colour in my work, to be able to sense colour and use them at the right time in the right way.

Harris has influenced my work as, it is clearly shown that his portrait work can be very useful in my own work. His portraits are rather remarkable as I believe his compassion to be incredible, he can perform great compassion on location and within the studio taking a group portrait and as a single person. I feel as if his work has been incorporated into my portraits, I tried to use similar composition.

I still really like Harris' work as I still love the music and they way that not only does he capture the artist or the band but the genre they define. I find his work to be inspirational and simply incredible, i like the photos he takes because of the people inside them, the bands are incredible and they make me love his work even more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment